Subject: [Leica] HCB article - Cape of Immortality
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:45:01 -0500 (EST)

You DID happen to know that Beethoven was insufferable and Picasso
was no saint.  How is this possible? --Dan C.
Dan,

I read their biographies. But that was en passant information. What I also
learned in these biographies was the sense of perfection and craftsmanship
that both these artists accomplished as well as their focussed purpose. They
turned everything in their lives to artistic account. That meant they both
exploited the people around them, trying to get emotional response for
transmutation into their work.

But art isn't gossip, true or false. Who cares whether Adams or Rembrandt was
nasty. The modus operandi of artists eventually fades from our consciousness.
Only the masterpieces they left us remain. That is the opaque cape of
immortality.

Bob