Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Question
From: jessen@gearbox.esd.sgi.com (Jesse Newcomb)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 13:34:57 -0800

Yeah but if he can't play with his Leica, what good is it? Might as well jump
on the Nikon F5 bandwagon because it's "the thing" to do...

> <<<<there appears to be a circular black plastic plug on the floor of the
> camera in front of the shutter.  Not one to simply pry it off for a look,
> I'm interested in knowing what it behind the plug.>>>>>
>
> You sound like the curious cat as in "Curiosity killed the cat!" Man I
> never had any inclination to find out whats behind anything inside a camera

When the trigger-lock on a Canon F1N locked-up the camera on top of a high-rise
apartment building in Tokyo, I walked down to the street, bought some small
tools, and took apart the camera's top plate & fixed it. When a Horizon
panoramic refused to wind film while in Bangkok Thailand, I took it apart and
fixed it. When the flex cable in my Contax TVS worked its way out of the
connector, there was nothing I could do. The Contax is a neat camera, but it's
a gizmo, and can't be fixed without other gizmos to assist the surgery.

Why do I swear by Leica but would never travel with a Contax G? Because the
Leica is a simple machine, well known to me & almost like an extension of my
hands. Capturing an image with it is like simply putting it in a tiny box and
carrying it home. It's obvious, it's simple, it doesn't get in the way, and if
it breaks I'll make it work again. - Which you can't do with these "hands off"
toys like the F5 - they keep you humbly at a distance, hands off, don't touch,
don't even think about it.

The black plug on the floor of your M6 lens box is just an access hole cover -
there's nothing you can get to if you pull it out. I don't know what they use
it for, but one thing you could do with it out is adjust the cam follower for
the rangefinder:lens coupling with a lens in place and the shutter closed.
That's the most likely purpose I can think of. Don't take it off, but if you
do, you can just press it back in. The best way to take it off is by pushing it
up from the bottom, after removing the plate with the film diagram, but that
means you'll have to keep track of all the bottom plate lock shims, which will
come out, and there's no sense going through all of that...

- - Jesse

- --
"CIA Clears Self in Crack Probe"
   - Headlines, SJ Mercury News 97/12/18

  Jesse Newcomb                     Silicon Graphics USA
  jessen@sgi.com                     tel 650 933-2026
  http://reality.sgi.com/jessen_esd  fax 650 390-6159
     LEICA <---> UNIX