Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 white dot
From: jessen@gearbox.esd.sgi.com (Jesse Newcomb)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 11:44:00 -0800

Actually those are old archives of usenet posts I did before the web was big.
Sorry there aren't any photos to show what i'm doing. I still use the equipment
today but I would add a note of caution:

Make sure your M6 metering pattern is in the true center of the shutter before
you make it any narrower. Mine is off just a tad, and I didn't notice until I
had been using it for a while. I think they can be off by at least a few mm on
any M6.

Also, on older M6 bodies, the meter will drop out in really low-light
situations and having a smaller spot won't help this. I narrowed it by 1 stop,
and don't notice any issue unless using 3200 ASA on a city street at night.

- - Jesse

On Jan 8,  6:20pm, Hans Pahlen wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 white dot
> If you go to
>  http://reality.sgi.com/jessen_esd
> (Jesse Newcomb) you will see how Jesse has done this on his M6 to get a more
> concentrated spot meter, and he also describes how he has rebuilt his SA
> 21/3,4 to meter in the M6.
> /Hans
>
> Jim Zietz wrote:
> >I miss my M5's. Why can't Leica make the white
> >dot on the shutter smaller and recalibrate the meter.
>

>-- End of excerpt from Hans Pahlen

- --
"CIA Clears Self in Crack Probe"
   - Headlines, SJ Mercury News 97/12/18

  Jesse Newcomb                     Silicon Graphics USA
  jessen@sgi.com                     tel 650 933-2026
  http://reality.sgi.com/jessen_esd  fax 650 390-6159
     LEICA <---> UNIX