Subject: Re: [Leica] shutter light leaks
From: jessen@gearbox.esd.sgi.com (Jesse Newcomb)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:20:21 -0800

Cha`o anh Tuong -

Thanks for the detailed reply about the light leaks. I wish I had gotten as far
as you did with your repair. I am not afraid to take apart my M6 but I don't
know how to remove the casing - so I stopped & sent the body to a repair shop.

I did find replacements for the velvet pads (exact replacement!) and I was able
to change them easily without disassmbly using a dental pick. (I only had to
remove the film back.) But beyond that, I think the shutter curtain is just too
old, and has some slight curve so it doesn't rest flat against the velvet pads.
I don't think it's a good design to begin with. It depends on this gentle
positioning of the curtain and there's not much black overlap to back it up. I
found old usenet archives of other people talking about this same issue on the
M bodies so it's not just me.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Vo". va` to^i sa('p d-i nu"o"'c Tha'ilan va`
Vie^.t Na(m... To^i se~ mang Leica of course!

thanks again -
- - Jesse

On Jan 6,  6:32pm, Tuong Nguyen wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Leica] shutter light leaks
> A Belated Happy New Year to Everyone,
>
> Jesse,
> Sorry for the late reply, spent the new year in Paris, more detail later.
>
> I have repaired a shutter curtain on my M4 so maybe I can contribute
> a little bit about repairing shutter curtain and back felt strips.

> 2. Worn felt-unlikely unless an old M6 model, or the felt strips need
> adjustment.  Need to remove the square metal cover on which the felt
> strips are mounted.  This is a messy operation because I had to
> remove the focus cam following arm to remove the metal cover.
> Please remember how you took it apart, because you can change the
> range finder focus alignment.

- --
"CIA Clears Self in Crack Probe"         - Headlines
                                           SJ Mercury News 97/12/18

                                    Silicon Graphics USA
  Jesse Newcomb                       Mountain View, CA
  jessen@sgi.com                     tel 650 933-2026
  http://reality.sgi.com/jessen_esd  fax 650 390-6159