Subject: [Leica] Question From an Amatuer
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 23:11:47 -0500

Bud Cook wrote:

<<<<It wouldn't just be a macho thing would it:-)?>>>>>>>>

Hi Bud,

Nope! Macho has nothing to do with it! Unless you are hefting around a
400mm 2.8 and you better have some macho to do that! :)  In the pro world
photographers shoot under the worst kinds of light conditions imaginable
and many cases wish the lenses were f.0001 than 1.4 or f.1.0

There is a major difference to the needs of the amateur and the
requirements when earning your keep as a working photographer, that calls
for fast lenses.

Example: Photographers shooting sports need long lenses, so if you have a
280mm 2.8 that means you can attach a 1.4 extender and make that lens a
400mm f4. Or like wise, attach the 2X on the same lens and have a 560mm
5.6. So the fast lenses are required more for work and light levels than
anything to do with being macho.

Now if we see Sylvester Stallone swinging a Leica, "That's Macho big
time!":)

However if you are using your Leica and rarely shoot with the aperture wide
open, you are missing out one of the greatest things a Leica lens can do
for your pictures -- "Make them look quite different from everyone elses'"-
 Think about it like this: If you do not require a great depth of field,
then always shoot with the widest possible aperture and the highest
possible shutter speed.

Doing this eliminates much unwanted clutter in the background by dropping
it well out of focus, makes your subject pop out more and certainly gives
your pictures a much different look, than everyone elses who are always
stopped down to 5.6 - 8 - or 11!

<<<It would seem to me that a Summicron at f4.0 is every bit as good as a
Summilux at f4.0.>>>>>>>

You're probably quite right. However, I like others on the LUG own 1.4
Summilux and f 1. Noctilux lenses to use at those wide apertures, not what
they can be equal to at f4.  Certainly I don't, as I'm working close to
wide open as often as I can, unless I require a greater depth of field.

If the high speed lenses weren't required in my work I'd be pretty stupid
to spend the thousands of dollars for a Noctilux and not use it at f.1

And if I were an amateur I'd probably be very happy with any Leica lens I
could own with a maximum aperture of 2.8 or 3.5.

<<<Everyone here seems to be into high speed lenses and it seems a bit
confusing to me.>>>>>>

No need to be confused my friend; it really comes down to some of us use
them for work, some folks here just like to have the fastest lenses, just
as some folks like to own the fastest cars! :)

Hope this eases your confusion and hang on to the LUG, for the New Year
will undoubtly bring you a great deal more "confusion" :) before this time
next year! :)

Have a Happy, healthy and good Leica New Year.:)

ted grant