Subject: Re: [Leica] Question From an Amatuer
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 97 22:31:43 -0500

Bud Cook wrote

>I've used Kodachrome, KII, K25 and K200 almost exclusively over the years
>and I very seldom shoot wide open.  It would seem to me that a Summicron at
>f4.0 is every bit as good as a Summilux at f4.0.     Have things changed at
>Leica so that the superfast lenses are better?  It wouldn't just be a macho
>thing would it:-)?

If you don't need the fast apertures for available darkness photos then
don't waste your money on the faster lenses.  If you are getting the "M"
lenses there is absolutely no reason to get  the fast lenses unless you
plan on using the wide apertures.  On an SLR the faster the lens the
brighter the viewfinder and this is a reason to get the faster lenses,
but as you know on the M you are not looking through the lens so the
speed of the lens does not affect what you are seeing.

It is my impression that all of the Leica lenses are fine pieces of glass
and when shooting stopped down they all preform very well, so if you
shoot regularly at f4 and above then don't get the s'luxes go instead for
the elmarits.

Just my opinion.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto