Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Bubbles/Coating Flaws
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 22:19:30 -0500

Snip --

> Anyway, I think that with modern technology and very high
> prices, the lens you describe should be bubbleless. Ernst would
> roll over, if he knew that his lenses had bubbles in them. Ed

Snip --

My first Summilux f/1.4 50 mm, which I purchased new in 1960, had a very
visible bubble in the first lens element (not in the coating).  I wrote
Leitz at the time and the company response (not Ernst) was that it was
not a flaw and that such bubbles were expected in the large element
optics.  I believe I still have the response letter.  The photographs
from this lens were flawless, and very satisfactory to the user.

Bill Caldwell
Bill Caldwell