Subject: Re: [Leica] Coming In From the Cold
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 18:37:48 -0500

Snip --

Marc James Small wrote:

I DO have it on good authority that Robert Byrd, Amundsen, Admiral Byrd,
and Santa Claus never 'winterized' THEIR Leicas, so why should you?

Snip --

I yield to Santa Claus and agree.  However, Roald Amundsen reached the
South Pole in 1911 (and died in 1928, well before Norvik/Trondheim and
the 1939-40 Leica experiences in Norway).  Was he using a prototype Ur
with the "kugellager" (also a very early prototype)?

Admiral Richard Bryd first explored the Antarctica in 1928, and last
flew into that continent in 1955.   Perhaps his Leica was a retrofitted
and non-standardized Lexus "kugellager" (rare indeed) with a K stamped
only on the shutter curtain and not after the original serial number?

Seriously, now I know why my Leica(s) continued to work in the mild
Minnesota temperatures.  Thanks -- and Merry Christmas, Marc and all
other LUGGERS.

Bill Caldwell