Subject: Re: [Leica] Coming In From the Cold
From: Bill Larsen <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 13:27:58 -0800

At 03:19 PM 12/24/97 -0500, Marc Small writes:

>The point?  You don't really need to 'winterize' a Leica:  the design was
>made to accomodate the worst that a Russian winter could toss at it, and,
>pace Garrison Keilor, even Minnesota looks mild by comparison.
>
>I DO have it on good authority that Robert Byrd, Amundsen, Admiral Byrd,
>and Santa Claus never 'winterized' THEIR Leicas, so why should you?

My understanding from one of my instructors at the Defense Information
School (1966) is that the M Lecias were winterized for extreme cold by
removing all of the lubricants possible (same as winterizing guns for
extreme cold).  The particular instructor, CPO Shakleford, had spent
several tours in Antartica and used a Leica exclusively.  The vogue
professional camera at the time, the Nikon F, tended to freeze the mirror
action in extreme cold and were apparently not much used.

The Leicas would be serviced after the extreme Antarctic winter was over
because there were consequences to using no lubricant.

Of course, I could be passing on an "old wives tale."  BTW, I thought Santa
used a Rollei (gasp) (grin).

Happy Holidays to all,

Bill Larsen from the southern San Joaquin Valley of California where we got
our first freeze two days ago.