Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip to Thailand
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:10:37 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Bill Grimwood <bgrim@garply.com>

>I went to Thailand on November 30 and spent 4 days in Bangkok and 4 days in
>Chaingmi.

I did much the same in '95. Landing in Bangkok is quite an experience, what
with the wave of heat and humidity that hits you upon leaving the airplane,
and the streets, teeming with people. But after a day or so, I began to get
my bearings and had a great time wandering about. The food, I could hardly
get enough of, between enormous pan-fried shrimp, (very) hot fish curries,
and of course, those heavenly stir-fry dishes and Thai peppers (prik).

I did not think to look for things Leica-related, despite the number of very
ritzy shops to be found in the city. I did catch a glimpse of what appeared
to be the Arsenal (Kiev) logo on a shop window, but did not have time to
investigate.

Out from the city, arising from former farmland, I saw large modern Canon
and Nikon facilities. I would've enjoyed a visit to these and to tropical
fish farms, had time allowed. The floating market, pictured in most tourist
books, is a photographer's bonanza, what with the small boats laden with
colorful produce of all sorts. A short tele and strong warming filter would
be great here, as some fine locations involve open shade conditions.

Up north, in Chiangmai (sp?), I found the surroundings much more relaxing,
and, not too far out from the city, enjoyed an elephant ride through the
forest, Beneath the canopy of trees, the air is relatively cool and
comfortable, and insect life abounds. It turned out to be surprisingly
tricky to shoot from the back of a moving elephant, what with all the
lurching, but nevertheless, I came back with some fine Velvia images, though
next time around, I'd probably take Ektachrome 100SW instead--need the extra
speed in many cases, such as those tentlike outdoor markets.

Unfortunately, I became very sick almost immediately after one particular
buffet, and this did put a damper on my photographs for the remainder of the
trip. Fortunately, none of this prevented me from partaking of the food in
Indonesia  (ate with a bit of care) and Singapore (ate with complete
abandon)! I did see numerous Leica cameras in Singapore, but in most cases,
they appeared to be strictly ornamental shop fittings for the typical
electronics/jewelry stores--it was there, it seemed, to add an air of
prestige to the shop.