Subject: [Leica] 8x32BA binoculars
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 00:18:36 -0700

This summer, after around 4 years of "thinking about it", I finally bought
my first set of binoculars: The Leica 8x32BA. I knew from the start that I
wanted something pretty small, but at the same time, it had to be easy on
the eyes, arms and shoulders. They also had to work well with or without
glasses, and not have much of a tendancy for image blackout if one's eye was
not perfectly centered on the eyepiece.

In the course of evaluating nearly all the units that I could lay my hands
on, I went to check out Leica's smallest binocs and liked them, but did not
find them super-comfy. The 8x32 Leicas, on the other hand, were
magnificently comfy in the hand, they focused close, and wonder of wonders,
said focus was precise in the sense that they snap into focus very
definitely, whereas I found myself constantly readjusting focus with other
units--and never being quite convinced that it was as sharp as it could be.

The leather case is nicely made, but if you thread the strap through it as
instructed, it tends to flap down over your nose and mouth as you view: I
simply use this case as a storage pouch--important, since there's no other
means to protect the front objectives.

I've since spent a number of hours using these new binocs, and find them
terrific: Zero sense of eyestrain, and I've learned to appreciate the fast
but smooth focusing action. Viewing small animals from close range can be
lots of fun!