Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:21:46 -0500

Harrison McClary wrote:

SNIP

> Ted, Ted, Ted,
>
> Man why oh why did you throw that stuff away.  That is the STYLE now.
> Out of focus, weird angel, grainy, goofy color whatever we used to call
> garbage is now what the AD's are paying BIG bucks for.  You have to get
> over this constant drive for perfection of focus and well composed images
> and get into  the real world of modern photography! ;)
>
> Harrison McClary
> http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto

Harrison,

Boy did you hit a raw nerve there. F---ing art directors drive me nuts.
And I'm a pretty easygoing guy.

Therein lies so many of the problems encountered when on jobs. Therein
also lies the reason why I have Polaroids initialed for approval before
committing to real film. I understand creative needs and desire for
distinction and even visual uniqueness but not everything has to look
like some MTV hyperanimated commercial.

Therein also lies the reason why my Leicas (keeping it topical) remain
such a creative salvation. They provide me with a means of finding
something pure in my photography. Please send the bill for today's
therapy session to my HMO. Thanks for letting me vent.

Carl S.