Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:26:27 -0500

ted grant wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've seen photographers do this "blind shooting" and always wondered what
> the hell they are doing...shooting wild like that?
>
> SNIP...

> Quite frankly, to hell with this shooting blindly stuff! If you don't have
> the balls to put the camera to your eye and shoot, "learn how!"
>
> Jeeeeeesh, I know I'm in trouble again! :) oh well what the hell, I'm
> sounding like an old grouch this morning.:) Merry Christmas everyone! :)
>
> ted

Ted,

There have been times when doing news work photographing tightly mobbed
personages that I have resorted to the "Hail Mary" technique of
prefocusing with wide angle lens, holding camera up, pointing it down
and firing at perceived meaningful action. And I have made some nice
photos this way that would not have been possible from ground level or
unless I carried a stepladder. It may not be the most involved and
intimate process of making a photo but it has brought home some pix
where otherwise I would have been skunked. It does take some skill,
talent and awareness to photograph this way and to pull it off. It also
takes some editing skill so as not to embarress one's self.

Carl S.