Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: "Weijann" <crebby@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 06:58:53 +0800

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD0B82.66BC1C60

- ----------
> From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
> To: INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
> Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997 1:40 AM
>
> Folks,
>
> I've seen photographers do this "blind shooting" and always wondered what
> the hell they are doing...shooting wild like that?
>
> As it seems there are a number of "renowned photographers" who shoot in
> this fashion, I thought I'd give it a go.:)
>
> Well either I'm blind in both eyes or there are a bunch of people who
> don't have the guts to hold the camera to their eye, focus and shoot the
> subject properly framed and composed.
>
> I shot a pile of rolls strolling around and plinking here and there at
> things I thought, "geez look at that!"  click, "throw that one away after
> development. When I knew damn well, if I'd have shot like a "real
> photographer" putting the camera at my eye, I'd have had one hell of a
good
> photograph.
>
> Either shooting wildly at the world is a very special technique with a
ten
> million dollar amount of BS luck, or I'm the stupidest Leica photographer
> around.
>
> Roll after roll just went into file 13 (garbage) as there wasn't anything
> but weird angles of the kind that for years I've concluded shot by
gutless
> photographers afraid to face the subject quickly, quietly and unobserved.

> Remeber we are talking about using "near silent" M cameras!
>
> You see, I think any idiot can walk around with a 28mm lens set at f22
and
> never look through the view finder and get a great collection of weird
> angled pictures that are virtually meaningless, unless some wordsmith
puts
> sweet talking words to them saying how great they are. Which in turn
makes
> a lot of photographers believe "hey if it's good for Willy Wonkie to
shoot
> like that and get books published, I guess I better start shooting in
that
> fashion also."  Wrong!!!!!!!!
>
> Quite frankly, to hell with this shooting blindly stuff! If you don't
have
> the balls to put the camera to your eye and shoot, "learn how!"
>
> Jeeeeeesh, I know I'm in trouble again! :) oh well what the hell, I'm
> sounding like an old grouch this morning.:) Merry Christmas everyone! :)
>
> ted
- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD0B82.66BC1C60

color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; To: INTERNET:<font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us</u><font =
color=3D"#000000"><br>&gt; Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind =
shooting<br>&gt; Date: Thursday, December 18, 1997 1:40 AM<br>&gt; =
&quot;blind shooting&quot; and always wondered what<br>&gt; the hell =
they are doing...shooting wild like that? <br>&gt; <br>&gt; As it seems =
there are a number of &quot;renowned photographers&quot; who shoot =
Well either I'm blind in both eyes or there are a bunch of people who =
I shot a pile of rolls strolling around and plinking here and there =
at<br>&gt; things I thought, &quot;geez look at that!&quot; &nbsp;click, =
&quot;throw that one away after<br>&gt; development. When I knew damn =
well, if I'd have shot like a &quot;real<br>&gt; photographer&quot; =
putting the camera at my eye, I'd have had one hell of a good<br>&gt; =
photograph. <br>&gt; <br>&gt; Either shooting wildly at the world is a =
very special technique with a ten<br>&gt; million dollar amount of BS =
luck, or I'm the stupidest Leica photographer<br>&gt; around.<br>&gt; =
wasn't anything<br>&gt; but weird angles of the kind that for years I've =
concluded shot by gutless<br>&gt; photographers afraid to face the =
subject quickly, quietly and unobserved. <br>&gt; Remeber we are talking =
about using &quot;near silent&quot; M cameras!<br>&gt; <br>&gt; You see, =
I think any idiot can walk around with a 28mm lens set at f22 =
and<br>&gt; never look through the view finder and get a great =
collection of weird<br>&gt; angled pictures that are virtually =
meaningless, unless some wordsmith puts<br>&gt; sweet talking words to =
them saying how great they are. Which in turn makes<br>&gt; a lot of =
photographers believe &quot;hey if it's good for Willy Wonkie to =
shoot<br>&gt; like that and get books published, I guess I better start =
shooting in that<br>&gt; fashion also.&quot; &nbsp;Wrong!!!!!!!!<br>&gt; =
don't have<br>&gt; the balls to put the camera to your eye and shoot, =
&quot;learn how!&quot;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Jeeeeeesh, I know I'm in trouble =
again! :) oh well what the hell, I'm<br>&gt; sounding like an old grouch =
- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD0B82.66BC1C60--