Subject: Re: [Leica] Approach to the 50mm
From: Bruce Feldman <feldman@tuj.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:50:15 +0900 (JST)

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Adi wrote:

> My most used lens is the M 35mmf/2. Since it went mad some time back, I
> have had to dust off my little used 50mmf/2 and start to use it in it's
> place. With this lens, I find I am having some difficulty. With the 35 f/2,
> how I normally approach a subject(person) is by estimating the distance,
> and firing from hip or chest level.

Jeez, Adi, you'll have Garry Winogrand turning over in his grave -- he was
adamant about ALWAYS looking through the viewfinder, otherwise it's not
really your shot and you'll never grow as a photographer by training your
eye.  I do, however, do the same thing, but not with my Leica M.  I often
carry a point 'n shoot in my gear bag for that kink of stuff (Konica Big
Mini 301).

> If I am able to get away with it, I
> shoot with my eye composing through the viewfinder. This has been my method
> for a long time. I find I can't do that with the 50mm however. WIth the 35,
> my subject would normally be within 2 metres away. Now when I scan my
> surroundings with the 50, I have to place my subject at a slightly further
> distance in order to get a similar subject size within the image frame.

Yep, that's what makes a 50 a 50!  You wanna really have fun, try it with
a 90!