Subject: Re: [Leica] re: the Leica vs. Nikon thread
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 08:38:38 -0600

At 12:04 PM 12/13/97 +0900, you wrote:

>Summicron (my last post) and I detect a tad more contrast showing up on my
>negs.  Is this my imagination or has anyone else attributed higher
>contrast to the use of a hood?

Yes, you should ALWAY use a lens hood. Repeat: ALWAYS. Flare is cut by
using lens hoods that keep non-imaging light from passing through the lens.
Flare reduces contrast by filling in shadows.

And the Micro-Nikkors are about the closest lenses to Leica I've seen. I've
used both the 55 and the 60. The 60 is much better! It's an amazing lens. I
can imagine how good the 60 Elmarit is.

And, do you use the accessory hood on the Micro Nikkor? I did. It's "built
in hood" has nothing to do with being a hood. Just the helical that focuses
it down to 1:1 requires the lens be constructed that way. Putting on the
accessory hood makes a great lens even better when shooting against the light.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now