Subject: [Leica] re: the Leica vs. Nikon thread
From: Bruce Feldman <feldman@tuj.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:04:35 +0900 (JST)

Recently had a chance to shoot up some Tri-X with my FM2 and Nikkor 55/2.8
Micro and was really impressed with the performance of this lens vis a vis
my 50 Summicron (6 element, 2nd gen. Wetzlar).  Sharp as a tack, high
contrast, no fall off, no flare.  It has a built-in hood, which I think
must aid contrast in addition to flare, and focuses down to 1 1/2 inches.
If it wasn't as long as a trunk I'd probably use it more.  The fact that
it's so long also means that I can't hand-hold at low shutters which,
coupled with the 2.8 speed limits it further.  Nevertheless, I started to
take seriously the value of a lens hood at doing more than just protecting
against flare.  I found a way to use the hood more conveniently on the
Summicron (my last post) and I detect a tad more contrast showing up on my
negs.  Is this my imagination or has anyone else attributed higher
contrast to the use of a hood?

Regards,

Bruce Feldman
Bangkok