Subject: [Leica] Re: Buying abroad (prices & warranties)
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:16:12 EST

In a message dated 97-12-11 20:56:38 EST,  Stan Reinike writes:
<<
 Do you know about how much tax I will have to pay for a new M6 ordered
 from outside the US and shipped back?

 I have here on my desk, an UK catalog from "Jessop Photographica"
 in which there is a statement "Equipment prices include VAT, for ex-
 port out of the UK deduct 15%.

 Since the UK & German prices are usually higher than the US, I see no
 reason to buy from there.   Japan is a different situation all together.
 There seems to be a group that is buying from Leica, at factory prices
 (not wholesale but factory cost) they are unethically skipping the cost
 mark-up of the distributor and therefore can sell for less than wholsale.
 Sooner or later they will be caught by Solms & the practice will stop.

 American dealers that buy direct from Leica USA, pay about $1500 for
 a new M6, without any warranties, and then can offer their own, if it is
 so desired  @ ($100/1 yr or $300/3rs).  My advice would be to avoid the
 so called "grey market"  and if you can't afford to pay the complete
 service Leica price, don't buy it, as service  (as bad as it seemtimes
 appears)  is an inherent part of the Leica mystique.

 This is only my opinion, &  from what I hear from Don Chatterton, it is
 really nothing to worry about since Leica problems like the M6 plastic
 gear breaking has been corrected & only very few LUGgers have had
 bad results with their equipment.  I think that some LUGger did count
 the results of Fernando's poll & found something like 10  (of those that
 responded) leaving the assumption that the balance of us were happy.

 Marvin Moss