Subject: Re: [Leica] diffraction limited lens: the theory
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:21:30 -0500 (EST)

>So generally the effective resolution is lower than the theoretical
>resolution because the effects of optical aberrations are more destructive
>than the diffraction effects, even at smaller apertures!!

>Erwin

I knew it! Some years ago there was a letter to Pop Photo. The photographer
asked if they could suggest an explanation for why an old Tessar (on a view
camera, I think) looked sharper at small apertures than some super
expensive new lens of the same length. PP dragged out the tired old
diffraction limit. There can't be any difference-end of story. I have seen
other claims in print that by the middle apertures lenses all perform about
the same. I never believed it.

I know there are aberrations which  are not affected by aperture, and that
contrast differences influence sharpness as much or more than resolution.
Have you (or anyone) found differences between lenses used at small
aperture openings which would be noticible in regular use?

Nick Hunter