Subject: Re: [Leica] diffraction limited lens: the theory
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 08:25:22 -0500

At 01:21 AM 08-12-97 -0500, Nick Hunter wrote:
[smip]

>I know there are aberrations which  are not affected by aperture, and that
>contrast differences influence sharpness as much or more than resolution.
>Have you (or anyone) found differences between lenses used at small
>aperture openings which would be noticible in regular use?

I believe I have noticed such degradation in quality using enlarger lenses
at small f-stops.  Enlarger lenses must be capable of very high resolving
power to focus on the grain in such films as Kodak Royal 25 ot Tmax 100.
When stopped down to f11 or beyond, the lens begins to go past the point
where diffraction effects makes it impossible to do this.  I have noticed
this in my own enlarging.  I try to use as  large a lens opening as
possible (with my APO Rodagon).  I am even contemplating getting a ND
filter for the lens, to be able to get more reasonable enlarging times.

Dan C.