Subject: Re: [Leica] Copying Old Photographs with 60 Macro 2.8
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:26:50 -0500 (EST)

>Leon Pomeroy wrote:

>Attention LUG:
>
>I'm Looking for suggestions on how to go about copying old B&W photos from
>family album I gathered over Thanksgiving.  I have no experience!
>
>Plan to use R5 with 60 f2.8 Macro lens, and bounced lighting, and want the
>old photograph look!
>
>What  FILM can any of you recommend  I use based on your own experience?

Leon:

Here are some techniques that have worked for me:

- --Keep photos flat. Use very clean cover glass if necessary. Small
distortions from curvature seem to be much more noticible on the final
result than they were in the viewfinder! (same applies to tilted images)

- --Surprisingly, bounce light may not be the best. It depends on the surface
of the photo. For glossy, unblemished photos, direct light at 45 degrees
works well. Should be one light from each side but for small prints one
will do. Just move light down low enough to eliminate hot spot on edge.
Experiment!

- --For prints with brown staining, a yellow, orange or red filter may help,
but only if the image is "cooler" in color. again, experiment.

- --T-max 100, particularly when overexposed a stop or two, has very good
copying characteristics. (IOW: "straight line" response, for densitometer
mavens!)

- --A lot will depend on the printing. Many lab prints of copy negs come out
too light in shadows, also modern papers spoil the vintage look.

Good luck, and let the LUG know how you do!

Nick Hunter

PS: oh yeah-good lens choice, just to keep us on-topic! :)