Subject: Re: [Leica] Ultimate sharpness for portraits???? YUCK
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 02:13:39 -0500

Roger wrote:

<<<<but I often wondered what the difference would be between the various
softening devices compared to purposefully defocusing the
lens a bit?>>>

Roger, I never thought of doing it that way, but I guess it would have
worked. My fear would be they might know the difference and ask, "hey this
picture is out of focus?" :)

I used to get a sharp image with this kinda soft glow look to it using the
cellophane. Maybe that was my interpretation of "leica glow":) Changing the
time of cellophane exposure, varied the amount of soft/glow sharpness of
the image.

Today if I have to do something like this I use a softar or blacknet filter
during part of the exposure, does basically the same thing the cellophane
did for free, only now you spend a fortune for the damn filter. :)

ted