Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Cartier Bresson and the 6 exposures.
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 02:13:41 -0500

Eric wrote:

<< but HCB would never manipulate a situation. It's totally contrary to his
style. >>>>>>

Hi Eric,

I guess if I'd been sharper when I read the original post realizing it was
a tongue in cheek about him having the guy jump 50 times, I wouldn't have
been feeling quite so bad.

Everything I've read about him, it just didn't seem like the thing he would
do. As I have certainly admired his timing skills as a very gifted artist
photographer.

I knew Gene Smith set-up all kinds of things, but not that Margaret
Bourke-White was a master at it.

Any of us who have worked as newsphotographers or commercial shooters have
at some time re-created a situation that has happened. It is part of doing
newspaper photography and that isn't a problem.

By the same token, when we shoot "live action" you either shoot live and
once!  Or you loose your credibility as a "photojournalist" recording the
"moment in time!"

Thanks for the post,

ted