Subject: Re: [Leica] FILTERS FOR THE 19 F/2.8
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 02:13:31 -0500

Donal Philby wrote:

<<<My real wish is that all lenses came with the ability to put filters on
the back so I could semi-permenently attach an 81A and have it away from
flare potential, and leave the front element naked and tucked away behind
the hood.>>>>>>>>

Hi Donal,

There are several lenses I wish I could control the filters from the rear,
as in the Leica 280mm 2.8 for one. I know someone is going to tell me you
can and they will be right for the later model, but if you own the first
one that came out, you don't even want to hear in a whisper the cost of a
polarizer to fit it. The later models have a #7 filter drawer at the rear
of the lens rather than that great big mother of a thing at the front.
Polarizer, if you could get one, in the neighbourhood of $500.00

Now that's a lot of polarizing! :)

I have a zillion different sizes of filters bought for various Leica lenses
in a big freezer bag, just for storage and easier handling. It has nothing
to do with keeping them cool. :) One of these days I'm going to donate them
to some photo club.

The only filter I use now is a polarizer and use nothing else on any of the
lenses, other than the 280mm as the front element came with a UV filter
attached and there it stays.

I realize there are photogrphers who absoutely believe one should have a
filter, UV or otherwise, on every lens for protection. I can never
understand what to protect them from, but then I guess some folks go around
whacking them up against all kinds of things.

But I see filters merely as two more glass surfaces to clean and for
potential internal reflections. I also realize many photographers who do
"commercial" photography require filters for light correction/ balance and
effect changes adding to the scene. No problem, as that is part of the
creativity of the photographer.

ted