Subject: Fwd: soon-to-be Leica owner has questions for the experts!
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 9:35:36 -0500

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My questions are as follows:

1.  Is the M6 the right choice for me, now that you know a bit about my

shooting style, or shall I consider the R8 a bit more carefully?

2.  Are there differences in quality between the M lenses and the R
lenses?
 I have been told that the M lenses are slightly better.

3.  Is Leitz glass truly "Number One?"  What about Contax G2 and Carl
Zeiss
optics?
Do they compete, quality-wise?  Shall I consider them?

4.  Which M lenses are the ABSOLUTE best (regardless of price) when it
comes to sharpness and color-accuracy?  Is a 35 and a 90 a perfect
starter
kit, or should I consider the other fast lenses like the 24 ASPH, the
50
NOCT, and the 75 1.4?
Remember, I am making this serious professional decision for only one
reason.....
to get better quality slides for enlargement and digital scanning.  I
need
FAST lenses
(so I don't have to use strobe) that are super-sharp wide open and all
the
way down with no vignetting or aberration.....they must also be the
best in
color accuracy, with no color casting.   Which M lenses fit the bill?
Are
R lenses better?

Thanks so much for your help, ladies and gentlemen.  I hope you will
welcome my comments and questions on this list, as I will be making
this
 purchase in the next 2 days and will be asking many questions as I
adjust
to the new system.

Thanks again....please email directy to fls@home.com if you can answer
today or tomorrow, since I need advice immediately and the next list
may
not be out by then.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First off,  I wouldn't sell any of your Nikon equipment until you've
rented and used some of the prospective M or R-series equipment and
done some side by side comparisons of the results.  Why????????

1) Many people find they can see no difference between the two systems
given the type of work they do.
2) Many people find the differences don't justify the additional
expense.
3) You have to look at the whole system,  Leica doesn't make several of
my favorite lenses.   I.E. 135mm f/2 etc.  17-35 or 20 35 zoom, no
motordrive, no autofocus.
4) You stand to lose a lot by selling the Nikon EQ and Leica equipment
is sooooo..... expensive, you better make sure you are ready to make
the change.
5) Everyone has a different opinion about what is best,  you were
attracted to the M-6, not every one is.
6) If I had to pick either M or R,  I'm not sure I'd pick either. The
M-system isn't broad enough lens-wise and the R-system doesn't have the
a number of the lenses I would require to make the switch.
7) M-series and SLR cameras are two very different types of cameras,
but they complement each other.  I bought M equipment to compliment the
EOS and FD equipment that I use on a regular basis.  If I were you,  I
wouldn't sell the Nikon EQ until you are sure that it is no longer
needed.
8) If you like to use lenses wide open, SLRS show how much out of focus
the background is going to be.  With a M-series you cross your fingers
and hope you like the results.  If you like to take photos with lots of
depth of field, M-series viewfinders are great.
If you like to see what is surrounding the frame, M is great.  If you
like to eliminate all of the unnecessary and concentrate on the final
image.  SLRs are better in my opinion.

A lot of these answers are pretty elementary.  Some will tell you if
you really are looking for the ultimate in sharpness and freedom from
grain, buy a Hasselblad or better yet a Linhof Technikarden.  Others
will tell you if really need Leica glass to separate your images from
the rest of the pack, you are fooling yourself into thinking that Leica
glass will make mediocre subjects, poor posing, bad composition and
lousy lighting into a masterpiece of photographic work.  A mediocre
image on Leica glass is just as pathetic as one taken with Canon or
Nikon. Perhaps more so, it may have less flare, but so what.

A M- 24mm  f/2.8 ASPH is not a fast lens.  If you are going to do a lot
of digital scanning you are going to add a number of factors that will
dimish the differences between Leica and Nikon glass, especially in the
color cast area.

Most often, ultimate sharpness is not all that great for shooting
portraits.  Unless you like seeing every wrinkle, blemish or hair on
the subjects face.  But to each his own.

In the end,  It's your money, your work, your shooting style,
your decision.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador