Subject: Re: R4 for Macro
From: Gerd.Hechtfischer@t-online.de (Gerd Hechtfischer)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:14:46 +-100

Dear Stefan,

I also think that $750 is too much for a R4. The newer models (R5 and up) are
of improved durability.
Another point is that you want it mainly for macro. Even though I own a nice SLR
Camera (Canon A-1), I don't like SLRs for macro and long telephoto work,
I mentioned that earlier in the group. The moving mirror causes a vibration of your
setup EXACTLY THEN, WHEN THE PICTURE IS TAKEN! Even a good and stable
tripod might not improve this, as the camera+lens is only supported at one point
and can  oscillate around this point. Also when shooting without tripod, (no macro
or tele), the sharp pictures from our M Cameras benefit from the lack of a shaking
mirror.
So to become really happy with macros, you should have a R Camera that allows
manual Mirror-Lock-Up. Only the R6, R6.2, R7 and R8 do have this feature
(Thanks for Jim Brick for pointing this out). In my opinion, the best solution, and
especially when you want it BECAUSE OF the macro, is a Visoflex III and a
focussing tube or bellows. I have paid for my Visoflex III and 16464 focussing tube
the equivalent of $280 on a camera show. You can use the lens heads of several
90 or 135 M lenses (which do you have already?) I suppose that you do not own
the R Macro 60 mm lens already, so why not go for a used Elmarit-V 3,5/65mm?
With your M6, you can even use the built in lightmeter (by moving the mirror
manually) and don't have to calculate with the apertures.
If you have any questions about which lenses fit will to what focussing ring,
and the resulting minimum distances, feel free to ask.

Gerd