Subject: Really mad!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 20:52:04 -0500

Richard Hemingway wrote:

<<<I have heard that some  LUGGERS have been complaining about English
language usage by  LUGGERS who are writing in English, which is their
second or maybe their  third or fourth language. This is intolerable.>>>>>

Dick, I can't agree with you more!!!!!!

I haven't been paying too much attention this past week, but if there are
members who are crass, nay despicable,  to make comments about members of
other nationality who do not converse in the English language equal to
those that it is their mother tongue, that quite frankly is quite
intolerable!

We do not have room in this International group of photographers for anyone
who isn't intellectually astute to accept there are people who do not
converse correctly in English.

Those of us who have traveled extensively through out our careers
understand the difficulties of managing in other languages.  The LUG is not
the place to show we have people without an understanding of the
"Nationalist connection" this group has.

Look, we are all family under the name of "LEICA"! No one is better than
the other, colour, race, creed or nationality! If you see another member
who is struggling with the English language, for heavens sake be kind and
helpful! Don't bad mouth the person or persons because they don't speak our
mother tongue.

We English speaking are probably the dominante language, that doesn't mean
we have to belittle those who use another!

I've said my piece, I trust this puts an end to criticizing those of
another language!

ted