Subject: Re: 46mm yellow filter
From: Bob Parsons <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:28:49 +0000

Tony Chang asked:

>Can anyone tell me if Leica makes 46mm yellow and orange filters?  If they
>don't, can you suggest me a brand which produces acceptable quality?
>
>I know B+W makes good filters.  But the bad news is that I can't use hood
>if I attach a B+W filter.  By the way, I am using 35 f1.4 ASPH lens.

Tony, only the UVa filter is listed in the 1996/97 Leica Handbook

I use B+W filters with the current 35mm ASPH 'Lux and have no problem
attaching the lens hood.  I have a recollection, may be wrong, but I think
there used to be any early hood which kept falling off and Leica changed
the design to one with a locking ring (current). Perhaps you have the early
version?

Part numbers for hood and filters I use are:

Leica A49 Hood # 12589  This hood has a locking ring to prevent it
                        falling off.

B+W 46E filter # 022 Med Yellow 2x
B+W 46E filter # 041 Red Orange 4x
B+W 46E filter # 061 Green 3x

I had a problem with the 24mm ASPH hood and non Leica filters though.
Probably scraping a little off the locating lugs inside the hood
would have fixed it. Fortunately Leica had the filters I needed.

Bob Parsons.  bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk