Subject: Re: M6 came in 6th and my new R8
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:37:12 -0600

At 08:22 AM 11/18/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Marc has pointed out to me that this was discussed weeks ago, but I just
>got the magazine in the mail last week. He also pointed out that Eric is
>listed in the credits at the end of the article.

That would be me. I'm working on their F5 review. Actually, my F5 is up for
sale, so I guess I'd better get it done! :-)

So, now that I've had the R8 for almost a week, my impression is that it's
a wonderful camera. It's a bit hard getting used to its unusual looks, but
no problem at all getting used to how it feels in the hand. Or how its
meter is deadly accurate. Or how smooth and well-built it feels. Or the
bright viewfinder. I could go on. This is one superb camera.

And my 180 Elmarit? It's good to have an old friend back. Used one from '84
through '95. And having the Leica ability to reproduce wonderful saturated
photos in really poor lighting conditions is something I didn't realize how
much I missed until now. It's not just saturation, though, it's an ability
to give good tonal separation in mid-tones. Shadow detail is better than
either Nikon or Canons fast tele zooms can do by a long shot, and they're
great lenses.

Looking forward to getting my 90 Summicron R any day now, and I've also
decided not to get the 21mm Elmarit ASPH M and get the 19mm 2.8 Elmarit R
instead. I just think an SLR is more capable of controlling converging
lines than an M camera. But if it wasn't for the R8, I wouldn't have
decided that it was worth it.  Not to mention the new 19 Elmarit is one of
the best wide angle lenses made (not just ultra-wide, wide). I'm still
going to get a 75 Summilux M, and then maybe a Noctilux some day. But for
more extreme stuff, I'm going to go all R again.

There is no question in my mind the R8 is every bit the equal of the M6
when it comes to quality, smoothness and pleasurable usage. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.