Subject: Re: Many are Cold, Few are Frozen
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 22:01:36 -0800

> >As far as I'm concerned 3200 even in a freezer and frozen solid will be
> >affected. Is this technically true? I haven't got a clue. I just know it
> >can be in the freezer for 6 months and when you go to use it and compare
> >negs after being in the freezer to negs that were exposed when you first
> >got the film and there is a distinct overall "fog" look.
>
> ANY film will be fogged by cosmic rays over a period of time.

In astronomy they sometimes use special cameras in which the emulsion is
chilled with liquid nitrogen. I was under the impression that film became
more sensitive (presumably to both visible light and cosmic rays) at very
low temperatures. Do any of the amateur astronomers on the LUG know
anything about this?