Subject: Re: Frans Lanting/previsualization
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 97 11:46:45 +0200

Donal wrote among other things:

>I heard Art Wolf speak at a seminar once and told about shooting 500
>rolls in 3 weeks in Africa.  He dropped all 500 at lab on way from
>airport, picked up 250 in the morning, the rest later in the day
and >had looked through all 500 by that evening and had some photos
>labeled, catalogued and off to publishers by the next day (he was a
>staff of 6, BTW).

I guess he must be on a roll now. I'm fairly sure that in one of
his books a few years back he writes that he averages 2000 rolls a
year.

>As for Salgado, he is now represented by Contact Press Images, at
>least according to their web site.  Maybe he got wind of Getty's
>current entreaties to buy Magnum and wanted to get his images out
to >safety.

Some others left as well, Eugene Richards etc. Don't know the reason.

A couple of reasons why the numbers of Salgado/Koudelka (like I
mentioned in the reply to Ted) are so different from Wolf etc.
I believe S/K wouldn't ever touch a motor or even a winder. It's
just their chosen approach to shooting people. Secondly they shoot
exclusively BW. A lot less reason to bracket than with color slides
etc.

God, I would die to see S/K contact prints.

Kari