Subject: Re: Frans Lanting/previsualization etc...
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 97 10:00:04 +0200

Ted wrote:

>I use film in relation to what is happening and motivating me and
>rarely think about how much film goes through the camera until we
>the day is over. Given the locations Salgado shoots I really find
it >hard to believe he only shoots 2-3 rolls a day, grand master or
no.

Ted, see it is at least partly just that location. He goes to
Angola, Ethiopia, some village in Brazil, wherever. No supporting
crew or perhaps just his son. He is there for weeks or even months.
He carries his own film and all the rest. This is not like e.g. NG
shooters going to some location with Kodachromes etc. flying in and
out with all the help of the logistics people of the society.

I've gotten this info via various sources. One particularly
interesting was a while back when I attended his exhibit here in
Finland. Talking to the organizers and also reading his interviews
in magazines around the world reveals interesting bits. E.g. to a
recent trip (one of those long ones that I was referring to) he
packed 220 rolls for three months. That all. Of course if he would
only work five days a week then the working day average would be a
tad higher than 3 rolls per day.

It's not such an unusual number. Koudelka still prides at shooting
1000 rolls a year. I suppose it's that these guys basically hang
around, record everything in their head, and then when things come
together, just nail it.

Regards,

Kari