Subject: Re: Frans Lanting/previsualization
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:28:59 -0800

Kari Eloranta wrote:

> Harrison wrote on Lanting:
>
> >he shoots no more than 6 rolls a day.  Very selective in what he
> >shoots. He said he did not like to look at bad photos and looking
> at >his own bad  photos depressed him so he shot fewer photos
> waiting >for the right moments
>
> And results he gets! Just saw the book "Eye to Eye" a few days ago.
> Stunning. I'm inclined to think that at those very close encounters
> that he makes he coldn't even use motor because of the noise.
>
> It's funny people buy into volume shooting stories. Some people
> think that e.g. Salgado shoots enormous amounts. He must, how could
> he otherwise have so much material as to quit Magnum and set up own
> agency. From what I hear he shoots 2-3 rolls per day on longer
> trips. Well, maybe you have to be a grandmaster to get to that level
> of confidence...
>
> Kari

I heard Art Wolf speak at a seminar once and told about shooting 500
rolls in 3 weeks in Africa.  He dropped all 500 at lab on way from
airport, picked up 250 in the morning, the rest later in the day and had
looked through all 500 by that evening and had some photos labeled,
catalogued and off to publishers by the next day (he was a staff of 6,
BTW).

He was working on 15 book project simultaneously.  Everywhere he turned
was a photo op.

As for Salgado, he is now represented by Contact Press Images, at least
according to their web site.  Maybe he got wind of Getty's current
entreaties to buy Magnum and wanted to get his images out to safety.

I tried to get Franz Lanting down to speak to an ASMP meeting in San
Diego while he was going to be here anyway for another purpose, but
without at least a $2000 fee (not permissible for members to charge for
speaking to other members) he wasn't interested.  After a couple brief
conversations on the telephone I decided I really liked his photographs
and applaud his pushing the creative envelope.  But his arrogance and
condecension was a bit more than I could abide.

Donal Philby
San Diego