Subject: Re: Roll Call/ Leon Pomeroy
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 07:07:27 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:
>=20
> At 07:51 AM 11/8/97 -0800, Donal Philby wrote:

>=20
> >I believe that letters sent to you become your property to do with as
> >you wish.=A0 And certainly this forum might be the same--virtually a
> >publishing into the public domain, especially if used for editorial
>=20
> >Eric Welch wrote:
> By that reasoning, when National Geographic comes into your home, you o=
wn
> the pictures. Of course, that's not the case. An acquaintance of mine w=
ho
> is well versed on the legal issues on this has stated that any posting =
> the Internet is copyrighted by the writer, and cannot be reused without
> permission.
>=20
> Not to mention it's good nettiquette to ask.

Interesting.  Of course, I have violated your copyright by requoting you
above, Eric, and truly hope you won't sue.  (Hey, I'll counter sue, and
we can make more lawyers rich!)  I believe there have been cases where
people have published letters sent to them by famous people and the
famous people have tried to supress them to no legal avail.  Perhaps
there is a difference between private correspondence and internet
"publishing" as we do here. =20

At any rate, I have thought that a book based on "Wisdom of the Stock
Photo List" would be a better seller, but a LUG version might become an
underground classic.  Maybe on CD.

Donal Philby
San Diego