Subject: Re: Larry Burrows & Tim Page
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 08:14:29 -0800

Kari Eloranta wrote:

> >I heard yesterday that H. Faas and Tim Page have collaborated on a
> >new Vietnam book that will be the subject of NPR's "Fresh Air"
> today >(5 Nov).
> Wouldn't it be a bit more relevant e.g. to have a book/radio
> program about why so few photojournalists died in the Gulf War?
> About the blackout, about the sanitized coverage, about TV versus
> photo, about people swallowing it all as "modern war".

The program was a good piece and based on publication of the Requiem
book and an interesting discussion of the life during vietnam.  The host
was a bit too interested in their wounds and not enough in the
experience (like, what do you do for excitement after Vietnam?).  But it
was good to hear from these legendary people.  It was a photographer's
war, certainly.

It would also be good to discuss the Gulf War coverage, a rather
shameful bit of journalism engineered by the Pentagon (who says they
can't learn from Vietnam?), but these are separate topics.

Besides, Leicas got a reverential treatment.  Page said that when his
first spread in Life Magazine appeared, he took the money and went to
Hong Kong and bought two Leicas.  Which got me wondering whatever
happened to rates that paid that much.  Today you could buy few Leica
filters for a spread rate in Life.

Donal Philby
San Diego