Subject: Re: Larry Burrows & Tim Page
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:39:42 -0600

At 11:38 AM 11/6/97 +0200, you wrote:

>Wouldn't it be a bit more relevant e.g. to have a book/radio=A0=20
>program about why so few photojournalists died in the Gulf War?=A0=20
>About the blackout, about the sanitized coverage, about TV versus=A0=20
>photo, about people swallowing it all as "modern war".

Sure, there's a time and place for that, but to ignore this topic when such
a wonderful book as just been published is simply inappropriate. If all we
can see in life is the negative, then our photography will only be
negative. If we don't remember the good photojournalism done in previous
wars, especially Vietnam where censorship was at an all-time low, what they
did to us in the Gulf War won't seem so bad.=20

It stands in stark contrast to the wonderful (yet terrible in its subject
matter) work done before. History will never be the same if we don't have
the access we used to get. Though ground warfare becoming obsolete makes it
hard to photograph large-scale war. There's still plenty of the old-style
wars.=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke