Subject: Re: I respectfully disagree with Ted ;-)
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 18:51:12 -0500

Tom Kachadurian wrote:

<<<That photograph is nothing if not an example of great god-given talent
mixed with great personally developed skill. BUT, part of his talent was
knowing the moment. Which is being there to make the luck work.>>>>>

Hi Tom,

First let me say thank you for your very kind remarks. :)

<<< Which is being there to make the luck work.>>>>>

The photograph in question is from my book, "This is Our Work. The Legacy
of Sir William Osler." It is my daughter Cyndy giving birth once again, (#3
child of 5) :) Another grand child arriving after me hanging around for 12
hours waiting for Cyndy to get her act together and deliver! :)

The shot was made with an M6, 35 1.4 Summilux and ("you're on your own for
the exposure.")  Film was Tmax 400 rated at 800 and souped in T-max
developer, 6 mins at 75 degrees. (I can remember some things!) :)

I believe the "luck element" Jorge refers to: <<<I refuse to accept that
luck is involved>>> that there really are luck elements in this particular
situation.

Being there, that isn't luck;  having the exposure right, that isn't luck,
that's experience and a good M6 meter.  It is the other little elements
that I refer to as luck!

The clock with time of birth; I really was not conscious of the clock being
there, obviously it was in my sight as part of the overall image:
My daughter reaching out with her right hand;  Into the "unplanned light"
coming from behind the doctor's left shoulder. The doctor holding "Sasha"
with her head turned into the "unplanned light"! That was a big time bit of
luck! :)

The expression on the doctor's face! He was great and it was unplanned, he
was just glad it was finally over. :) Not to mention Cyndy and grandpa
here! :)

Another factor in this particular situation, "mixed emotions"!  You, the
photographer know you can't say, "Hey doc would you put her back and do it
again!"  This is a "one shot deal" with no retakes. So you are overly
conscious of each photographic element, as they are the items you control.

The other emotion is; equally if not stronger, "this is my daughter about
to give birth to a grandchild!"  Now, not are you having to keep the
"professional photographer" in tune and on the ball, you have to keep the
family moment in control to allow you to do your "work of taking pictures"!
 Without loosing it and starting to cry your eyes out with happiness and
joy!

So you see there are elements of luck, because let me assure you it was
tough "keeping me all together" until I finished shooting. Then it was tear
and hug time! :)

I believe some things are easily controlled in our picture taking that
requires no luck whatsoever. Then there are those moments where you have
things well prepared and the totally off the wall unexpected occurs, that's
when Lady Luck touches you with being in the right place at precisely the
right time, angle and exposure.

And when it happens and you haven't even thought of it, that's when you
realize somebody up there likes you! :)

ted