Subject: Re: "De-meterizing myself"
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 14:14:00 -0500 (EST)

But the sunny 16 rule is a good one.  Set your speed to that of your
film.  Then the aperture at, f/16 if it is very sunny.  Open up a stop
for every degree your light is worse than this.  Sunny, but with clouds
around, f/11; more clouds than sun, f/8; open shade f/5.6 (this is a very
common North European climatic condition!!); closed shade f/4, and so
on.--Martin Davidson

Martin,

I agree, the f16 @ film speed shutter in sunlight is a good interpolative
rule of thumb. I've been trying to find a similar reference for indoor
lighting without a meter. So far, only experience has worked for me. It would
be great if we could find a basic exposure that would free those of us who
prefer to work intuitively and with T Leicas. There is a lightness in such
freedom.

It occurred to me that we could apply the outdoor rule by referring to it by
comparing the exposure for indoor conditions according to it. I'll experiment
with this idea and would appreciate feedback from our colleagues.

Bob R