Subject: I respectfully disagree with Ted ;-)
From: "Jorg Willems" <jorg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:10:42 -0500

Sorry this got so long.  I am speaking from my heart:

My goal is to shoot more consistent pictures.  Occasionally I got some
really nice one that brings joy.  Therefore I am looking for those 'recip=
es'
or set of rules that makes it more likely to get a good picture. It's lik=
learning to play a musical instrument: you hit the right note at the righ=
time and we all recognize the melody.  That doesn't mean that you play li=
ke
Vladimir Horowitz, but it means that friends and family are delighted to
hear you playing your instrument.  Sometimes the music flows and sometime=
it's not as fluid, but we still recognize the melody.  I hope I made my
point.  I would like to learn to push the shutter release at the right
location at the right time.

In Kennebunkport Ted Grant made the comment that he got lucky when he too=
k a
picture during the birth of one of his grandchildren because the child
turned the face into the light, the father looked at his wife, and the cl=
ock
in the background.  You can see the picture at
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant/homepage.html/plate2.html.  What a hea=
rt
warming picture!

On our way home Katariina and I had a loooooooooooooooooong discussion ab=
out
being lucky and photography, because I disagree with Ted (hear, hear me
lord! This lad is getting feisty!)  It speaks for Ted's humility to be so
grateful to call the constellation of all the minute details 'lucky', but
how many photographers would have taken advantage of the right time?  A
fraction of second earlier or later and you miss it.  Being prepared (rig=
ht
equipment and location) and anticipating what could/will happen next is T=
HE
key.  I am convinced that one can learn that =85 to a degree.  Otherwise =
we
all would become Ted Grants or many other great photographers (go to
Harrison McClary's http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto/editorial.html and se=
what I mean, or Tina Manley's http://www.photogs.com/manley/reza.html the
right moment when the boy looked at his bandage,  etc., etc. =85)

I refuse to accept that luck is involved, because that doesn't help me.
Luck is not the 'recipe' I am looking for.  It's an excuse for those of u=
that are constantly 'unlucky'.  I am yearning to be more consistent and I
believe that the recipe is: learn the basic rules of composition and
practice, practice, practice.  What else is there?

The crossover from a good to an excellent photographer is paved by 'Talen=
t'.
That comes from the grace of God.  I am not asking for that, I just want =
be a good photographer.

OK, Ted, deal with it:  I disagree with you.

J=F6rg
Snellville, Ga., where everybody is somebody!