Subject: Re: 70-180 Vario Apo Elmarit R
From: "Jorg Willems" <jorg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 19:18:12 -0500

Ted wrote:

>Hi Jorge,
>
>Is Kati using a monopod?  I alwya hated using them unless when I was
>covering Olympics and they were mandatory over tripods, but since learning
>how to make it work with the 70-180 it has been a God send.

Hi Ted,

We just walked Stone Mountain up and down (1.4 miles up and 900 feet high).
Beautiful sunset behind Atlanta's sky line.

She used a Bogen monopod under the 70-180 and 2x apo extender.  The pod has
also three little legs that are attached to the end of the stand and are
screwed in when you don't use them.  I use occasionally the pod and legs
with the M6 it works pretty good but for the big lense it's too wimpy.  For
the wedding pictures she uses a tripod, naturally.

>A pleasure to have met you both in Kennebunkport and like with all the
>other LUGNUTS, we didn't have enough shared time just for LUGNUT bonding!
>Hopefully next year we can build in a LUGNUT moment, specifically for the
>LUGNUTS. :)
>
>ted

Katariina and I thoroughly enjoyed Kennebunkport and you deserve a lot of
credit for that.  You have a way of teaching that makes things easy to
accept.  There are several things you said that made quite an impact on me
(really on us, I hope Katariina will muster enough courage to participate in
the LUGNUT discussions).  I will organize my thoughts and will share my
perspective with the LUG fellows.

You are right, we met a bunch of nice people.  What a coincident:  My cousin
had an apprenticeship at Leitz, Wetzlar, around 1962-1963.  (He was the one
that got me hooked on Leica almost 20 years before I was able to afford it.)
Although my cousin left Leitz over 20 years ago to pursue another carrier, I
asked Ernst Hartmann whether he knew him.  Imagine this: he is my cousins
best friend!  The world is small.

I wish Atlanta would have a stronger 'Leica-culture'.  It's pitiful here in
the south.  I wonder why that is?
Thanks for a wonderful time.

Jorg