Subject: Re: Adams, Manners, etc.
From: "captyng" <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 10:03:40 +0100

>Finally - Mozart. The Kaiser and the Arch Bishop of Salzburg were patrons of
>Mozart. These men were the highest authorities of their governments. Their
>decisions on spending were the decisions of the govenrment at the time.
>Therefore, Mozart received government subsidies. That these governments were
>not democracies is a separate issue.
>
>I agree with Marc on van Gogh, which brings to mind the question of just
>treatment of artisits.

Interesting examples, Mozart and van Gogh. How much more great music would
Mozart have written if he would have lived 30 - 40 years longer as a result
of some financial support? 10 more opera's?100 more symphonies?

Van Gogh, who sold only one painting in his life, would have made twice or
more the number of images he painted if he would have lived longer thanks
to a little more money. With only one percent of the money waisted in the
military, our years could become one of most exeptional periods of art in
the history of mankind.

Gerard Captijn.