Subject: Adams, Manners, etc.
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:14:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi Folks,

Since I have been part of this discussion on Adams, NEA grants, etc, let me
add a few points and respond to one Marc made.

First off: though I strongly disagree with Roger, Marc, and others in the art
versus guns discussion, I consider this group to be made up of a disparate
collection of friends united by an appreciation of Leica, photography, and
related (usually) subjects. I have never personnally attacked ("flamed")
anyone on a list, and have no patience with those who do. Friends often
disagree, but civility should be a given. The slam annonymously posted
against Roger was childish, unwarranted, and out of line. A good policy is
never say anything to anyone that you would not say to their face in polite
company.

Second: I agree with Jim Brick on his description of Adams own printed work.
Until I saw original prints of his - in New Orleans, of all places - I had
the "really good good postcard" concept of his work based on seeing only
small book reprodutions. His originals are very humbling indeed; stunning is
a good word.

Finally - Mozart. The Kaiser and the Arch Bishop of Salzburg were patrons of
Mozart. These men were the highest authorities of their governments. Their
decisions on spending were the decisions of the govenrment at the time.
Therefore, Mozart received government subsidies. That these governments were
not democracies is a separate issue.

I agree with Marc on van Gogh, which brings to mind the question of just
treatment of artisits. He did not have to die penniless. Does an artist have
to be a good businessman or woman?

Oh, looked at the new Leica plastic point-and-shoot today, the ZX2? The
finder is much improved over the Minizoom, but otherwise it did not do much
for me. I've been told the lens is a very good performer. Metal touches on
the front bring it in-line with other, more retro point and shoots. The price
is attractive, around $300.

Good day to all,

Will von Dauster