Subject: Re: Roll Call
From: Tom Kline <tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:05:03 -0900

Photo CV for LUG

Thomas C. Kline, Jr.
Born: 1954 as the M3, Virginia USA

Resided: (Virginia 10 yr, Germany 8 yr, Japan 2 yr through age 20)
(Washington State 11 yr, Alaska 12.5 yr since age 20)

Education: B.S. (2, one in 1976 and one in 1979), M. S. (Fisheries, 1983,=
 Univ. Washington),
Ph. D. (Oceanography, 1991, Univ. Alaska Fairbanks)

Profession: Research Scientist at a non-profit institution (Prince William=
 Sound Science Center), expertise in biogeochemical cycling with respect to=
 fisheries production in Alaska

Photographic History
Grandfather gives me 127 format box camera in early 1960's
Grandfather demonstrates interchangeable backs on his Hasselblad (1966)
=46ather gives me his old Exa (1967)
Takes up black an white darkroom work during summer school vacation (1969)
Buys own Pentax Spotmatic (1969)
Lots of black and white during rest of high school
High school photo buddy shows me Leica screw mount system complete with Viso=
 1 and 125 Hector (1969)
Reads 14th edition of Leica Manual and Pentax Way to learn the ropes of=
 photo technology (1969-70)
Buys Leica IIF and IIIF (1970)
Gets Nikkormat and 4 lens for high school graduation from Dad (1972)
Uncle loans me one of Grandfathers Hasselblads (1972)
Buys own Hasselblad (1974)

Recollection of remaining camera acquisition is pretty blurry-
But at present have:
Leica M3, M4 and M6, Nikon F and F2, Nikonos 1, III, and RS (SLR model),=
 Hasselblad 500 EL, C/M, 2000 FC (including their stainless steel underwater=
 housing for the EL), Omega D5 XL and D2 XL with Dichroic heads. Numerous=
 lenses for all cameras including the whole set for the RS.

Have also had at one point: 3.5F and 3.5E Rollei TLRs (including underater=
 housing), Linhof 6x9 and 4X5 Technika and Technika 70, Brooks Veriwide=
 (original model).

Looking to get:
Noctilux 50/1 - thanks for all the help Erwin, Alistair and others!

Primary interests:
underwater - which I do as part of my work and on vacations to places with=
 water much warmer and clearer than Alaska!

natural low-light photography (Alaska provides plenty of opportunities!),=
 especially the Aurora Borealis - which I tend to shoot with lenses wide=
 open (will eventually get the 1.4 ASPH for this, would like to see a 24 1.4=
 ASPH !!!!!) with 200 or 400 speed color negative film.

Professional photo:
10 years with a stock agent while in graduate school. Any $$ were welcome=
 then, but too busy at present writing proposals for research funding, work,=
 meetings, and publications to try to sell photos. Most notable photo=
 publication - full page aerial shot of high density of salmon in stream=
 1983 in Scientific American.

=46uture goals: showing photos on the WWW

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph.D.                             =20
Research Scientist/ Diving Safety Officer               =20
Prince William Sound Science Center                                 =20
300 Breakwater Avenue, P. O. Box 705                                  =20
Cordova, AK 99574, USA
907-424-5800
tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us
http://www.pwssc.gen.ak.us/