Subject: Re: Getting serious - Adams
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:15:28 +0000

>Adams bashing has been in vogue (not just his work, but others as well) for
>some time now. My advice to my daughter was to do what her heart tells her
>and disregard the critics who are critics because they cannot create images
>of beauty.

I was fortunate in that my college was not anti Adams.  The head of the
photo department had hosted an art show of some of his works before he
was very popular and had bought 2 of his now more popular prints for a
total of $2000.00.   At the time I was in school these were valued at
nearly 10 times that since they were hand printed autographed and
numbered originals from the master himself.  Beautiful works.

The only reason many of the "artists" who are in vogue today can produce
their art is because they have garnered a government grant to produce
this trash.  My feelings are that if your work is not good enough to
support you, get a day job and do you art on the side. Don't expect me/my
tax dollars to pay for your horrible garbage that is only appreciated in
the stratosphere of the art world.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto