Subject: Re: Roll call
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 97 14:45:13 +0200

File:

Kari Eloranta
39, single, born in Finland, grew up playing happy including
introduction to a MF box, did engineering masters at Helsinki, got
moving at 23 and finished PhD at Stanford five years later
(mathematics). Been on the move ever since. Endless string of
conferences, research projects at universities in Europe and US,
papers, papers, papers. Currently in Helsinki for about seven months
of the year.

Started photography at about 12 (cannot recall the name of that MF
camera but I'll one day dig it up from my parents' attic), moved to
Canon TLb, FTb and settled to F-1's. Many years with them trading
occasionally bodies and lenses but no fatal heresies like N***n ;-).

Current lineup: M4-P, 35 & 50 Summicrons, two F-1's, 2.8/24,
1.4/50, 1.8/85, 2.8/200 (plus filters, extension rings, tripods,
bounces, darkroom etc.). My philosophy is to keep it simple and
intuitive. I don't collect. Except perhaps negs. My first
L-equipment was a Pradovit, the big metal box, still going strong.

Last few years I've been travelling three-four months every year,
mostly in third world. That's full time photography and some
writing, too. Mostly documentary, people & their lives, but also
some architecture (ancient monuments). Recent projects in the Horn
of Africa and Central America. Lined up next is South Sudan. Pray
for me.

The greatest film in existence is APX25. Also one of the most
useless. So I mostly carry APX100 and HP5+. The bottom quarter of
the film bag is KL200 and some slower color. If I have only one body
with me there's always BW in. Only BW can touch dreams.

Main weaknesses: Verdi 'till morning hours, oddball working hours,
dark roast by the mugful, impatience to longwinded threads at LUG
and elsewhere, NextStep (its nearly ancient but still the greatest
piece of software ever written), Porsches (speaking of german metal
- - not even Leicas are made like these) and other feline creatures...

Currently preparing an exhibit. Always a pain but you make yourself
think it's worth it. Doing all the darkroom work but still having
just the the usual 24 hours in a day is most unfair...