Subject: Re: Rapidwinder questions
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 97 13:06:39 -0400

>I've just got a new Rapidwinder from a dealer and it has some mechanical
>problems such as the lever leaning at a strange angle rather than being at
>90 degrees to the base, and the lever not folding away into the base but
>being stuck at this strange angle. So I'm sending it back to get it fixed.
>But I have a question for anyone who is familiar with Rapidwinders; this one
>does not have the circular collar or ring that is on my M6 baseplate (or on
>the M winder) that shoves the film up into place on the take-up spool when
>the baseplate or M winder is put onto the camera, and keeps it in place
>there thereafter. Having the film correctly aligned on the take-up spool
>with the Rapidwinder fitted appears to be a matter of making sure the film
>is in the right place when loading and hoping it doesn't move down the
>take-up spool subsequently. So my question is this- is this how the
>Rapidwinder usually is? Confirmation of this would be reassuring.

Joe,

Are you talking about the Leicavit? This will only work on the M2 and the
rare MP bodies. It doesn't have the little funnel-shaped gizmo to shove
the film into the slotted takeup spool because these bodies have the
older, removable takeup spools. Unless it's the new one made by Tom
Abrahamson, it should not work on an M6, which may be why the lever
doesn't act right and it seems to be broken.

- - Paul