Subject: Leica rumors
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 97 13:06:42 -0400

Dear LUG,

I just got back from a workshop in Maine given by Ted Grant, and attended
by LUG members Tina Manley and Tom Donnovan. Both Ted's and Tina's work
blew me away. Ted is an incredible speaker and teacher; I've come back
charged up and impatient to take pictures.

Roger Horn was there, and said there were no plans for an M7. The only
changes that they currently envision would be variations on the M6, and
would still be designated M6. He said that  a built-in wide-angle
viewfinder (to include 24 and 21) is not practical, because the
viewfinder window is too close to the lens, and the lens would end up
blocking too much of it. I can believe this; at 21mm, you see an awful
lot of the lens even with the accessory finder up on the top plate.
Answering questions, he said that putting more information in the current
M viewfinder would not be practical.

When asked if there was a multi-focal lens in production for the M, he
smiled and replied that he didn't know anything about the "f/4 Tri-Elmar."

He said that the R8 motor is expected around June 1998, and the winder
around the end of this year; I think he said December/January.

He commented that a frustrating thing about his position is that he can
only market and distribute what Solms actually produces and ships him. He
said that they won't release the motor or winder until they are perfect,
and don't always seem concerned about market realities in the meantime.

Just before the Photo Techniques article went to press, Leica gave Mike
Johnston, the editor, the information in the article nixing rumors of a
production body with the M6-J finder.

- - Paul