Subject: Re: Chrome for prints
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:55:27 -0600

At 08:52 AM, you wrote:

>For me another reason is the direct possibility of creating a black&white
>negative or a color separation from a slide, so there is no need (or better:
>there is not always a need) for using two different films .

But a negative from a slide is adding a generation to the process, and a
significant reduction in quality. Contrast alone is going to become
objectionable in most cases. Better to make a black and white print from a
color negative.

A separation is another thing. I have always preferred to use slide film
for reproduction, though with the newest generation of slide/neg scanners
(we have a Kodak 2035 at work - $8,000) a good scanner operate can make
better prints from negatives than slides. But there's the rub. You have to
be a good scanner operator and be using a high-end scanner. But it's a moot
point for me now that I'm going digital.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Lives of great men all remind us,