Subject: Re: Chrome for prints
From: "Henk Thijs" <henk.thijs@eurocontrol.be>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:52:38 +0000

Eric Welch wrote:
>Why do you choose chrome film if the final goal is a print? The only
>printer I know who does Ilfochrome in a way that doesn't lose shadow detail
>and give blown out highlights (i.e. match the film's potential beauty) is
>Portland Photographics, and last time I looked their 8x10 with a contrast
>mask just under $100. Do you print your own?
>
>I know chromes are a lot more fun to edit (and easier to judge). But if the
>final goal is prints, I'd be using slow neg film. What are your reasons?
>Just curious.

John Lowther answered:
>........printer to match the color and density of the original, she does it.
>God only knows how a printer will interpret a negative... and I am red-green
>color blind which makes communicating about color print expectations a
>much greater challenge, since when I get a print which is unsatisfactory,
>I often can't really explain why...

For me another reason is the direct possibility of creating a black&white
negative or a color separation from a slide, so there is no need (or better:
there is not always a need) for using two different films .

Henk

- --
  Henk    Thijs                 tel: +31-(0)43-3661249
  Eurocontrol Maastricht UAC    fax: +31-(0)43-3661300
  Horsterweg 11       email: henk.thijs@eurocontrol.be
  NL-6191 RX  Beek(l)     T h e  N e t h e r l a n d s