Subject: No flash, you work for the police????
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 9:37:56 -0500

Ted's story of the vet comparing available light shooting to police
surveillance reminds me of what happened to me while I was in Cuba.

I was taking photos without flash during a church service.  There
wasn't any electricity that night, so they were using "Coleman" type
gas lanterns.  Afterwards I had a group of people asking me about how I
was using infrared film like the police to take pictures.  I didn't
catch on to all of the inferences until later, but apparently there
were several informants in attendance at the service including one of
whom was asking me lots of questions about how I was taking the shots.

I was using 400 ASA at 1/8th or 1/15th  at f/1.4 and 2 (as I remember)
using my Leica table tripod pressed firmly against the wall with a
cable release.  And my 135 f/2 looks like a surveillance lens to Cubans
at least.

I kind of joke about my trip to Cuba as my suitcase was the last to
come out due to the suspected bomb inside.  (A Marantz pro cassette
recorder for interviews, two flashes, a bunch of batteries and a
battery charger.)   I've also learned it is a good idea not to pack the
Leica table tripod with the large ball head together as it looks a lot
like some sort of gun to x-ray machine operators.

Towards the end of the trip I borrowed a bicycle and with a camera
headed off into the hills.  I got a flat tire and decided to walk back
another way and managed to walk directly into a military training
camp/base.  I was carrying a F-1n with a 80-200L lens and trying to
keep it behind my back as I walked through.  I was a bit nervous as:
1) I was a gringo walking through a military base in the middle of
nowhere,  2) I had no papers on me and 3) I was carrying a camera with
a large lens by their standards.

They stopped me of course and after talking for a few minutes they let
me go on through.  I'm glad I've got an honest face and God helped me
through I'm sure.  I occasionally joke now saying I probably should
have asked if I could take some pictures of them doing training
exercises just to see my wife's face turn to horror.  In reality, I was
just glad to have made it out the other side.  I also learned later
that I could have easily been robbed and killed for my camera as a lot
of that happens..

After it was all done with I brought back another not so lovely
souvenir from that excursion.  Dengue fever, which knocked me out for
nearly three weeks.

It was worth it though, and I hope to return again sometime in the next
couple of years.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador